The King's Hospital is a Church of Ireland Governed Co-Educational Boarding and Day Secondary School, based in Brooklawn, Palmerstown, Dublin 20.
Its fundamental values are a Christian Conscience, a Sense of Duty and Loyalty, and a Love of Learning.
Founded in 1669 as The Hospital and Free School of King Charles II, The King’s Hospital was based in Dublin’s Queen Street for its first century before moving in 1783 to the noted Georgian building in Blackhall Place which is now the headquarters of the Law Society of Ireland.
Between 1957 and 1966, two small schools – Morgan’s and Mercer’s – were taken over by The King’s Hospital, a move which contributed to steadily increasing numbers. This in turn created a need for additional space that the old Blackhall Place building could not provide.
The decision was made to move out of the city to a spacious 80-acre site at Brooklawn in Palmerstown where a modern, purpose-built school was established on the banks of the River Liffey. By this time, the School had embraced the co-educational concept with conviction and enthusiasm. It has been one of its outstanding features ever since, as the co-educational character encourages mutual respect as part of the maturing process among pupils.
The School’s on-going development programme is overseen by a Board of Governors and its current Chairman is Ken Peare. Among its traditions are daily worship in the School Chapel, the robed choir, the House system, and special occasions such as Charter Day commemorating the granting of the School’s Charter in 1671.