From September, 2017, The King's Hospital will provide students with a whole new dining experience when we welcome Sodexo www.independentsbysodexo.com as our new provider of catering services here at the school.
Fresh Food from Scratch - Sodexo's Ethos & Commitment in The King's Hospital
Sodexo has worked in partnership with many fee-charging schools in Ireland for more than 50 years providing best in class catering to boys and girls every day. Our specialist schools team are dedicated solely to delivering catering and a range of other service solutions to clients in the private and fee-charging school market. We work with each school to develop a bespoke vision for pupil and teacher dining to deliver a catering concept that is unique in a school environment.
Ensuring pupils receive healthy nutritious food every day is of paramount importance. Sodexo takes seriously their responsibility to assist the students in being able to make healthy choices. We offer nutritionally balanced menus that promote healthy options and educate youl!g people on the importance of eating a balanced diet. Sodexo's "Fresh Food from Scratch" ethos is the backbone of our approach to healthy eating and being at the forefront of innovative food, our brand is a perfect fit for student dining when it comes to responsible nutrition and wellbeing. The ethos of our food offer means that all dishes are freshly prepared from scratch using the freshest, most seasonal, ingredients, bought from sustainable accredited sources.
We have included a sample menu cycle for your information overleaf. You will also be able to access our weekly menu cycle via a link on the school website, once the New Year commences.
By using the freshest ingredients, professionally cooked and presented it:
- Provides the fuel that students need to learn
- Ensures that young people have the nutrition they need to maintain their active lives and grow
- Provides the environment & the food they need to feel at home
Specialist Nutritionists and Dieticians have educated Sodexo's teams in healthy methods of preparing, cooking and serving food. For example:
- Where practical they will use fruit sugars and honey as sweeteners
- Rapeseed oil is used if frying is required
- Vegetables are included in dishes to improve the nutritional content
- Fish is served to provide Omega 3 to support growth and mental well being
- Semi skimmed and Soy milk are promoted
- Salt and fat content of dishes are reduced with herbs and spices added for extra flavour
The foundation of Fresh Foods from Scratch is based on using only the best quality, locally sourced ingredients and is of the highest importance to the success of this unique school's food offer
- 100% of meat and poultry are sourced in Ireland
- All suppliers are Bord Bia approved
- Fish and seafood is MSC accredited
- Sodexo are fully engaged with "LEAF" to ensure quality, seasonality and local sourcing