You are here:Home >> About the School >> History & Traditions
History & Traditions
Founded in 1669 as The Hospital and Free School of King Charles II, The King’s Hospital was based in Dublin’s Queen Street for its first century before moving in 1783 to the noted Georgian building in Blackhall Place which is now the headquarters of the Law Society of Ireland.
Between 1957 and 1966, two small schools – Morgan’s and Mercer’s – were taken over by The King’s Hospital, a move which contributed to steadily increasing numbers. This in turn created a need for additional space that the old Blackhall Place building could not provide.
The decision was made to move out of the city to a spacious 80-acre site at Brooklawn in Palmerstown where a modern, purpose-built school was established on the banks of the River Liffey (and today overlooking the West Link Bridge carrying the M50 ring road round Dublin).
By this time, the School had embraced the co-educational concept with conviction and enthusiasm. It has been one of its outstanding features ever since, as the co-educational character encourages mutual respect as part of the maturing process among pupils.
The School’s on-going development programme is overseen by a Board of Governors and its current Chairman is William H. Maxwell.
Among its traditions are daily worship in the School Chapel, the robed choir, the House system, and special occasions such as Charter Day commemorating the granting of the School’s Charter in 1671.
'King Charles II' 1685 Godfrey Kneller (1646 - 1723) Oil on canvas, 224.5 x 143cm
The King's Hospital, Palmerstown, Dublin 20, Ireland