We have a dedicated team of career counsellors in our Career Guidance and Counselling Department who help students identify talents and potential and open up career possibilities.
The department offers practical assistance on college/university applications – both at home and abroad – and our modern, up-to-date careers library is a major asset to pupils.
Career Guidance & Counselling Department
Susan Tanner Careers Department Head HDCG, HDipED, BSC
Lorna McGinn Careers Advisor M.A. GDED, SGCiP, B.A.
Dr Marion McGinn Career Guidance Administrator PhD (TCD),MSc (TCD), BA (Hons) (NUI)
In the dedicated, constantly updated Careers Library, the following resources and materials are available:
- Prospectuses on all universities and colleges in Ireland and many in the UK, and CD ROMs where available
- Information on various career areas
- Books and pamphlets on a wide variety of career matters - with fresh stock added every year.
- Internet access, with priority given to pupils using it for careers purposes.
- Video units and headphones with videos on courses, colleges and careers, which the students can either borrow or use in the library.
Computerised resource centre
Our computerised resource centre gives access to national and international databases and information on third-level courses and careers.
- www.qualifax.ie (The National Courses Database)
- www.careerdirections.ie (Careers Information Database adapted by Fás)
- www.careersworld.com (Ireland's National Careers Portal)
- www.cao.ie (Central Applications Office, Ireland)
- www.ucas.com (UK college applications)
- www.eunicas.ie (The European Universities Central Application Support Service)
- www.studentworld.com (Part of the Global Ventures Network)
Online Study Guides provide lots of suggestions to get you through each subject in a cool, effective way.
Study Skills Seminars
During the academic year, the Guidance Department organises Study Skills seminars for Forms 3 and 5, while there is also a study skills module in the Form 1 induction programme. The seminars focus on:
- Time management
- Health and well being
- Study techniques
- Mind mapping
- Target setting
The aim is to equip students with the skills they need to help them achieve their best results in their exams. Students are required to discuss the study seminar with their parents and complete the target-setting sheet together.
Study Skills document
- 10 Top Tips to boost your confidence
- Improve your memory
- Study timetable
- Study skills
- Exam techniques
- Using your mock exams to help you achieve your best results in June
Useful reference books
- Shortcuts to Success – Study and Exam Skills for Leaving Certificate – Irene Togher (Gill & MacMillan)