b'48ZAMBIAN ADVENTUREBY STUDENT CARA CONLONOn the afternoon of Wednesday 12We arrived in Sables Nua school where we would be February, we set off from Dublin airport.spending much of our time over the next few days. After refuelling in Brussels, we arrived atLessons had finished when we had arrived but a large group of students were waiting outside the school, Addis Ababa airport in Ethiopia for a four- greeting us with handmade signs with our names hour layover. We all wore masks duringwritten on them. We got off the bus and they started our time spent in the airport and on ourplaying music and dancing. We had a really warm final flight to Lusaka as a precautionwelcome that day. against Coronavirus.Friday was one of the most eventful days of the trip and a definite highlight for me. We set off that It was clear how seriously the threat was consideredmorning for Ranchhod Hospice that had been set up as the flight attendants were also masked and the airby Mary Chidgey, a former KH nurse. On the way there was sprayed clean before take-off. On our arrival inone of the two minivans we had hired broke down Lusaka, Zambia, our temperatures were checked andat the side of the road. Mr Malone and a few others we were given a medical form to fill out.had to jumpstart the battery with the help of a few We were ushered onto our bus and left for the three- passing men. hour drive to Kabwe, north of Lusaka. Looking outThat whole ordeal stressed the teachers the window on the journey, we glimpsed the povertya bit - the students were loving the people there were living in. The first thing that struck me were the streams of people walking roadside. Weexperience! We arrived at the hospice and passed street vendors selling fritters, fruit, or sittingvisited the preschool attached to it. The barbecuing corn. We passed through several shantylittle kids in there were from families who towns, the likes of which would never be seen inwould otherwise probably not have had Europe. This trip was the first time for most of us in Africa so this was a real culture shock. the money for food or school. Men were sitting in groups outside smallThey adorably performed a few songs for us. On the huts and women went about theirspot we managed to scrounge up a bit of Amhrn na business carrying their wares onbhFiann. We learned about the work of the hospice. their heads. Our small bus loadThe head nurse, Regina told us about the AIDS of people attracted a lot ofepidemic in the country and about their efforts. attention in the towns.'